Friday, February 1, 2013

Look What I Found


I discovered a new term today, gamification, and gamifying education. What does this mean? My first thought was the technology teacher heading up a "Gamers Club" as an extracurricular activity. What I discovered from Ctrl+Alt+Teach was something completely different.

Do you remember sitting at the table with your parents playing the game of life? Well the idea of gamification is thinking outside of the Milton Bradley game box, although board games are not being ruled out. Gamifying education is one of the more recent ideas being studied in the pedagogy of students. I was excited to read about this idea. It is essential to continue to bring in engaging elements into the classroom. The fast paced, plugged in generation demands that we offer engaging material that is both relevant and applicable to them personally.

4 comments:

  1. Your post is very well written and I like how you coined the phrase "thinking outside of the Milton Bradley game box," however I don't fully understand what gamifying education is, I think the concept of this needed to be expanded on and explained more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Your right. I was not very clear on that. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I really loved this idea--and the word gamification! Awesome find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's one way to keep theit focus. It'd help me study anyway.

    ReplyDelete